- Relate briefly the history of whistle making and tell why whistles were invented.
- Explain the importance of conservation in regard to whistle making.
- What do the seasons of the year have to do with making a willow whistle?
- Name two trees that make the best whistles and why. List three other trees that can be used to make whistles.
- Give a brief description of the following styles of whistles:
- Tube Whistles
- Pan Whistles
- Flute Whistles
- Name five types of modern whistles and their uses.
- What modern musical instrument is a sophisticated whistle?
- How does a whistle work?
- What is the most common equipment used in making whistles?
- Explain the importance of wood grain in whittling a whistle.
- Why must the size of the holes and chamber be proportional to the amount of airflow?
- How do you tune a whistle?
- Demonstrate that you can make a two-handed whistle using your hand and a piece of grass.
- Demonstrate the technique and try to accomplish a whistle using your hands(s) or fingers.
- Review and demonstrate the proper first aid and safety rules for the usage of a pocketknife.
- Know how to sharpen a pocketknife using a whetstone or oil sharpening stone.
- Make the following whistles:
- Pan (Tubes) whistle
- Flute Whistle
- Learn to play a simple song on each whistle you have made.
Download Honor Book