- Have an intermediate Swimming Honor.
- Know the “rules of the road for boating.”
- Know how weather conditions and high wave conditions can affect safety and sailing performance.
- What safety precautions should be followed when sailing.
- Do the following:
- Get a sailboat underway from dock, mooring or beach.
- Know how to adjust your sails for the following situations:
- Beating the wind
- Beam reach
- Broad reach
- Close reach
- Change tack by coming about and by jibing.
- Approach a dock mooring, or beach, stop and prepare the boat for being unattended.
- Know how to tie and use the following knots in sailing:
- Clove hitch
- Two half-hitches
- List several ways to care for your sailing equipment through the year.
- Know the meaning of at least 20 terms used in sailing.
- Be able to identify at least 15 parts of a sailboat.
- Demonstrate the rescue of a person overboard.*
- Demonstrate what to do when a sailboat capsizes.*
These requirements should be done under the supervision of an adult. A rescue boat should be ready to give assistance.
Download Honor Book