- Earn the Cycling Honor.
- Using a mountain bike and a road bike as examples, show and describe five differences between mountain and road bicycles.
- Demonstrate the function and advantages of cleats, bar ends and a front shock on a mountain bike.
- List at least three materials that mountain bike frames are made from and explain why new materials are always being tested for mountain bike frames.
- Explain differences between single track, double track, and fire roads.
- Give the definition for the terms “hard tail” and “full suspension” and explain the advantages and disadvantages of a full-suspension bike compared to a hard tail.
- Describe the basic rules of courtesy that should be followed when doing off road riding.
- List 3 basic pieces of safety equipment that should be worn when mountain biking.
- Know the 3 most commonly broken bones in mountain biking accidents and how to prevent these injuries from occurring.
- Demonstrate how to properly clean, polish and lube your bike after you ride it.
- Complete the following riding requirements: All rides must be done on some sort of off-road trail like single track and a given trail may be used for more than one ride or repeated to make a ride long enough to meet the requirements (if needed).
- Three 5 mile rides.
- Two 10 mile rides.
- One 20 mile ride.
Download Honor Book