- What is the distinction between moths and butterflies?
- Define the following terms: antennae, cocoon, pupa, larva, and chrysalis.
- Distinguish between three different cocoons as to species.
- What causes colored powder to come off on your hands when you handle the wings of a butterfly? Examine the powder of a moth with a magnifying lens and describe your findings.
- Name a harmful house moth and three harmful tree moths and tell during what stage of their lives they do their damage.
- What famous butterfly follows the birds southward every winter and comes northward again in spring?
- Do one of the following:
- Make a collection of 25 moths and butterflies, with not more than two specimens of any one variety. Specimens should be anesthetized by using carbon tetrachloride or other chemical in a collecting jar.
- Identify in the field, then draw or photograph 25 species of lepidoptera.Note: In either project, correctly label with name, date observed, location, time of day, and plant type on which it was feeding.
- Describe the life history of a moth or butterfly. What lesson can be learned in connection with the resurrection of the righteous dead?
Download Honor Book