- What is the “polar night”?
- Describe the geographic areas the midnight sun may be seen in.
- Describe why and at what time of the year the phenomenon may be seen.
- For what period of the year is the sun visible at each of the poles?
- Talk to at least 5 persons that have lived or currently live in an area with midnight sun and ask them how the midnight sun and polar night affect their life.
- Find a place where you can observe the sun at its lowest position during the night and do the following:
- Calculate the exact time for the suns lowest position (take into consideration daylight saving time if applicable).
- Stay awake until the sun has reached its lowest position and take a landscape picture that shows the sun and some surrounding nature. Make sure not to look directly into the sun without proper protection.
- Look around you and take note of how the nature reacts to the continuous sunlight.
- Find information on the time period the midnight sun phenomenon is visible at your point of observation.
- Read Genesis 1:31-2:3, Leviticus 23:32, Exodus 20:8-11 and Nehemiah 13:15-22 and discuss in a group (or in written form – at least 500 words) when the Sabbath starts according to the bible and how this can be applied in areas that experience midnight sun and polar night.
Download Honor Book