- Define the term literacy.
- Research and briefly describe how two or three organizations in your community or country promote literacy or provide literacy services to children and adults.
- Write a paragraph explaining why literacy is important.
- Complete three of the following activities:
- Help someone read a small book or short story.
- Read a short story to a group of young children and discuss it with them afterward.
- Make 10 flash cards with simple words and illustrations or pictures and give them to someone who is learning how to read.
- Read several chapters from the Bible to an elderly person you know who is blind or unable to read. This can be done in one visit or several visits.
- Give a five-minute presentation in your school or Sabbath school or church on what you learned about literacy.
- Choose three words and explain to your instructor how you would teach someone what the words mean and how to spell them.
- Your school teacher
- Books on learning how to read
- Someone who works as a writer or editor for a newspaper or other publication
- Websites such as:
The literacy project: google.com/literacy (available in English, Spanish, French and German)
Literacy Center Education Network: literacycenter.net (available in English, Spanish, French and German)
Literacy connections: literacyconnections.com