- Describe the following in detail concerning lighthouses:
- What is the function of a lighthouse?
- When were the first lighthouses of record built?
- What is the name of the most famous ancient lighthouse?
- What are people called who study lighthouses? Why?
- Do all lighthouses have keepers? If not, how are they run?
- Research the structure and function of Fresnel lenses. Explain what makes these lenses so effective.
- Throughout history, what fuels were used for lighthouse lights?
- Are all lighthouses located along ocean shores? If not, list other locations where you would find a lighthouse.
- What is the lighthouse service called in your country? What organization or branch of government is responsible for maintaining lighthouses in your country?
- When a lighthouse is a visible landmark seen from the ocean during the day it can be identified by certain markings. What are these called?
- What is a foghorn? Why would one be used at a lighthouse? What are three things that affect how far away a foghorn can be heard?
- Since lighthouses are often called “lights”, explore the concept of “lights” in scripture by doing the following:
- Look in the Bible Concordance to find “lights” and discuss lights as referred to in the Bible.
- Explain why you think God’s word is like a lighthouse.
- Memorize John 8:12.
Download Honor Book