- Have the Lighthouses Honor.
- Make a scrapbook, including the following:
- Pictures, post cards or drawings of 25 lighthouses. Label should include a brief description of: location, year built, active/non-active status, and order of the lens.
- Write up a short history of the above lighthouses.
- Include drawings/pictures and answers to all the requirements for this honor in your scrapbook.
- List the development of a Fresnel lens, including:
- Name of the gentleman who invented it
- Country that he came from
- Year developed
- Draw a Fresnel lens:
- Show how prisms are used to concentrate light
- Draw a bull’s eye lens and state its purpose
- Make a chart showing each class of Fresnel lens:
- Define order and list by size
- Name at least one lighthouse using each order
- Research and describe the history of the mechanism for rotating lights
- Make a chart of six lighthouses showing nighttime (light) and daytime (daymark) signature.
- What is a lightship? Why and where are lightships needed?
- Read about lighthouse keepers and list some of the hazards they faced in completing their duties.
- Study quotes by Ellen White mentioning lighthouses and discuss the meaning. Place a copy of the quotes in your scrapbook.
- Obtain a “Lighthouse Passport” and have it stamped at 10 different lighthouse locations.
- Build a lighthouse modeled after a real lighthouse using a lighthouse kit, wood, or other medium. Know the name, location, and date when the actual lighthouse was originally built.
Download Honor Book