- List at least four things that contribute to physical fitness.
- Run or jog 800 meters (approximately one-half mile), OR Run fifty meters in ten seconds.
- Make a high jump. (Record highest of four jumps.)
- Jump or skip rope for three minutes.
- Do three different stretches. Hold each for a minimum of ten seconds.
- Participate in an obstacle course.
- Demonstrate your ability to do the following:
- Ten sit-ups
- Climb a pole, rope, or tree
- Hang from a bar with hands and knees
- With your group, participate in an organized game that requires physical fitness, for example, ball game, relay race, leapfrog, etc.
NOTE: This award is one of the requirements for the Sunbeam Class.
- Fitness includes proper nutrition, rest, water, exercise, strength, cardiovascular fitness, flexibility, endurance—keeping your body in the best possible condition.
- Jog or run as a group, always with adult supervision.
- Jump onto a mat or other soft material such as sand or sawdust. Be certain the “bar” the children jump over is set lightly on pegs and is not a solid piece that could cause injury.
- Play several jump rope games, allowing for practice, as many may never have used a jump rope.
- When stretching, use static stretches (hold stretch for 15 seconds without bouncing). To avoid injury, do stretches both before and after exercise.
- Set up an obstacle course that the Adventurers can run around, under, over, and through. Use objects such as tires, cardboard boxes, pylons, ropes, and poles.
- An adult must supervise these activities.
- Play these games as a group or family if possible. Be sure an adult supervises.