- Name five Adventist Pioneers and tell something about each.
- Read a story about an Adventist Pioneer.
- Learn an early Adventist hymn. Memorize the first verse.
- Make and taste a batch of granola; tell what granola had to do with the pioneers.
- Paint, tie-die, or decorate a plain bandana. Use the bandana to dress-up as a pioneer.
- Memorize Rev. 14:12.
- Hold a large book like Ellen White did in her vision and time yourself.
- Play an early American game.
- Do an early American craft.
- Ellen White, James White, William Miller, Joseph Bates, J.N. Andrews, Hiram Edson, etc. RESOURCES: William Miller Heritage Farm (8″ x 10″ color pictures and bios available from the ABC); “Life of the Pioneers” tape series from Michigan Conference.
- Books for requirement #2 include: Ellen, by Mable Miller; Camp Meeting Angel, by Paul Ricchiuti.
- Songs from SDA Hymnal: “Tis Love That Makes Us Happy,” No. 579; “You Will See Your Lord A Comin’,” No. 438; “I Saw One Weary,” No. 441; “What Heavenly Music,” No. 452; “Don’t You See My Jesus Coming?” No. 454.
- Talk about the importance of breakfast and breakfast foods. Mention some history of breakfast (Councils on Diets & Food and Adventist Home). Check any cookbook for a granola recipe such as Century 21 – 375 Meatless Meats. If it is impossible to make granola, purchase the granola bars and talk about the ingredients that make granola healthy for us. (Whole grains that are precooked and quick to prepare.) Make granola at the meeting and send some home with each family along with the recipe.
- Make bandanas by cutting a 24″ square of plain cotton cloth in half diagonally (from corner to corner); stamp or stencil pictures on it in the shape of animals, wagons, or children. For dress-up, provide long dresses, bib overalls, cowboy hats, etc.
- Weigh the book. Is your book smaller or larger than Ellen’s? (The Early Years 1827-1862).
- Jump rope, tug of war, falling off the stars, hop scotch, tag games, button-button, drop the hanky, milk the cow, obstacle course.
- Spoon dolls, needlepoint, make bread or granola and place in bandana, make a wagon using cardboard, spray paint, etc.