- Explain what a basket is.
- Describe several baskets found in your home and tell how they are used.
- Name and describe the tools of a basket maker.
- Tell how materials are prepared for basket weaving.
- Make a simple basket of natural grasses, reeds, or other local material, OR decorate a basket to be used in a practical way in your home, such as those used for sewing, trash, berries, or flowers.
- Decorate a basket to be given as a gift.
- Make a basket with a handle.
- A basket is a receptacle (container) made from interwoven material.
- Baskets may be used for laundry, shopping, fruit, berries, sewing, collecting waste paper, etc.
- Some essential tools are: sharp pair of scissors, sharp knife, round and flat nose pliers to bend spokes, an awl or knitting needle to make spaces in the weaving, water pail and waterproof cover for area where you are working. You may wish to invite an experienced basket maker to come and demonstrate.
- The natural materials are soaked in water until they are flexible.
- Instructors are encouraged to choose a simple design so that the Adventurer(s) will not become discouraged. Work with each child as necessary so all may complete this project. Use local materials such as grapevine, reeds, grasses, etc.
- Decorate a basket such as a sewing basket, fruit basket, flower basket, or shopping basket to be given as a gift. If you have already decorated a basket to fulfill requirement five, keep in mind that this is to be an additional basket.