Explorer Class Requirements
||Third Class Name.|
||Pin showing that student has finished the Class.|
||Explorer Ribbon. For the Advanced Class.|
||Explorer Chevron. To be placed on the Left Sleeve.|
- Be 12 years old and/or in Grade 7 or its equivalent.
- Be an active member of the AJY Society and Pathfinder Club.
- Learn or review the meaning of the Pathfinder Law and demonstrate your understanding by participating in one of the following: role play, panel discussion, essay, or prepare a project of your choice.
- Read the book "The Happy Path" if not previously read.
- Have a current Book Club Certificate and write at least a paragraph of review on each book.
- Know the composition and proper use of the Pathfinder Flag and Unit Guidon.
- Become familiar with the use of a concordance.
- Hold a current memory gem certificate.
- Read the gospels Luke and John in any translation, and discuss in your group any three of the following:
- Luke 4:16-19 The Scripture Reading
- Luke 11:9-13 Ask, Seek, Knock
- Luke 21:25-28 Signs of Second Coming
- John 13:12-17 Humility
- John 14: 1-3 Lord's Promise
- John 15:5-8 Vine and Branches
- Choose in consultation with your leader one of the following areas.
- John 3 Nicodemus
- John 4 The Woman at the Well
- Luke 15 The Prodigal Son
- Luke 10 The Good Samaritan
- Luke 19 Zaccheaus
- Share your understanding of how Jesus saves individuals by using one of the following methods:
- Group discussion with your leader.
- Giving a talk at AJY's.
- Writing an essay.
- Making a series of pictures, charts or models.
- Writing a poem or song.
- Memorize and explain Proverbs 20: 1 and Proverbs 23:29-32.
- Read about J. N. Andrews. Discuss the importance of mission service to the church and why Christ gave the Great Commission (Matthew 28: 18-20).
- Complete the map work on missionaries and places of service.
- Be familiar with the community services in your area and give assistance to at least one.
- Participate in at least three church programs.
- Enroll a new member in Sabbath School, Pathfinders, or Bible Correspondence Course.
- Participate in a panel discussion or skit or peer pressure and its role in your decision making.
- Tour your municipal offices or have a city official visit your group and then explain 5 ways you can cooperate with them.
- Earn one of the following Honors:
- Christian Grooming and Manners
- Family Life
Health and Fitness
- Complete one of the following 2 requirements
- Participate in a group discussion on the physical effects of the drug alcohol on the body.
- View an audio/visual on alcohol or other drugs, and discuss the effects on the human body.
- Peer Pressure discussion.
- Participate in a sixteen kilometer hike and make a list of clothing to be worn.
- Peer Pressure and AIDS Awareness.
Organization and Leadership Development
- Lead out in your club's opening exercises or a Sabbath School Program.
- Help your unit or club plan a special outreach activity such as a project for unfortunate children, community beautification, etc. and carry out the activity.
- Participate in a special club event such as an Investiture, open house, induction, Pathfinder Sabbath, etc. and participate in the evaluation of the event afterwards along with the Companion Class.
- If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, be able to identify the North Star, Orion, Pleiades, and two planets. If you live in the Southern Hemisphere, identify Achernar, The Southern Cross, Centaurus, and Orion. Know the spiritual significance of Orion as told in Early Writings.
- Complete one of the following honors: Animal Tracking, Cacti, Flowers, Stars, or Weather.
- Identify six tracks of animals or birds. Make a plaster cast of three tracks.
- Participate in a two-night CAMP OUT. Describe six points of a good campsite. Plan and cook two meals.
- Pass a test in Explorer first aid.
- Explain what a topographical map is, what you can expect to find on it, and its uses. Identify at least twenty signs and symbols used on topographic maps.
- Review the basic lashings and build one article of camp furniture.
- Plan a menu for a three day camping trip for four people, using at least three different dehydrated foods.
- Be able to send and receive the semaphore alphabet, OR Be able to send and receive the international Morse code by wigwag, OR Know the alphabet in sign language for the deaf, OR Have a basic knowledge of procedures of two-way radio communication.
- Complete one Honor in Household Arts, or Arts and Crafts not previously earned.
- Complete one Honor in Outreach Ministry, Health & Science, Vocational or Outdoor Industries not previously earned.